Did you know that you should not let a Bentonite clay mask dry on your face? Here’s why.
Bentonite clay has some pretty cool properties. The edible form has been traditionally used by indigenous cultures to heal mineral deficiencies as it’s rich in silica, calcium, magnesium, sodium, iron, and potassium.
Clay also binds to bacteria and toxins living on the surface of the skin and within pores, helping to reduce blemishes, alleviate redness, and fight allergic reactions from irritating lotions or face washes. It even helps relieve poison ivy and eczema, as well as accelerating wound healing.
When mixed with water, it swells and its properties become electrically charged to attract toxins like a magnet, drawing out impurities from the skin while replenishing minerals and oxygenating the skin.
But when left on too long, the mask dries skin like the Sahara desert, so definitely use a warm wash cloth to gently dampen and remove it when it starts feeling too tight and uncomfortable. That’s when the mask stops working too—so wash that baby off.
I got this DIY mask recipe from Rachel Marshall of All Natural Aspirations. Her solid information motivated me to try the simple to make mask on the spot and share it with you with her permission.
How to make the face mask:
- Water—add enough to create a paste
- 1 tsp. raw organic honey
- 1 tsp. or more Bentonite clay to make a paste
- A small glass or non-metal bowl
- A non-metal spoon (I love wooden spoons like these).
What to do:
Mix the water with the honey first, then add the clay. (This works better than adding water to the clay.)
My skin feels like porcelain after using this mask. It is clean and purified without being taut or dry. I had a small red scar that looked like it was healing thanks to the combination of honey and clay. Because it’s mixed with water, I wouldn’t keep this mask longer than a couple of days at most. To learn more about why you want to be careful with DIY recipes, head over here.
Artwork by Joy Steinberg